February 02, 2006

On "Religion"

1:10 Listen to the Lord’s word,
you leaders of Sodom!29
Pay attention to our God’s rebuke,30
people of Gomorrah!
1:11 “Of what importance to me are your many sacrifices?”31
says the Lord.
“I am stuffed with32 burnt sacrifices
of rams and the fat from steers.
The blood of bulls, lambs, and goats
I do not want.33
1:12 When you enter my presence,
do you actually think I want this –
animals trampling on my courtyards?34
1:13 Do not bring any more meaningless35 offerings;
I consider your incense detestable!36
You observe new moon festivals, Sabbaths, and convocations,
but I cannot tolerate sin-stained celebrations!37
1:14 I hate your new moon festivals and assemblies;
they are a burden
that I am tired of carrying.
1:15 When you spread out your hands in prayer,
I look the other way;38
when you offer your many prayers,
I do not listen,
because your hands are covered with blood.39
1:1640 Wash! Cleanse yourselves!
Remove your sinful deeds41
from my sight.
Stop sinning!
1:17 Learn to do what is right!
Promote justice!
Give the oppressed reason to celebrate!42
Take up the cause of the orphan!
Defend the rights of the widow!43
>(Isa. 1:10-17, NET Bible)

Our "religion" means nothing without follow through on our parts. God doesn't care how or when we worship Him so much as what it does in our hearts. As James reminds us, without works, our faith is dead (James 2:26). We need to attend church. We need to pray. We need to study our Bibles. We need to be trasnformed by these things of God and then allow ourselves to be used by God in service to Him for the world.

In Christ,

Christopher